And I’m still learning.
When I publish this post, it will officially become my 5,000th tweet!
Given ‘Ginger and Spice’ first started out on twitter (just over two years ago) as a mini-blogette, it felt appropriate to mark this milestone with a post looking back at my twitter/blogging journey so far…
And as Twitter has recently celebrated its eighth birthday with a #FirstTweet tool that enables you to look up user’s first tweets (you can find yours here), it felt fitting to look at what I’ve learned since that very first tweet as Ginger at 9:22 PM on 18 Feb 2012.
Here are 5 lessons I’ve learned along the way, to help you get the most out of your tweeting/blogging:
- A picture tells a thousand words – we’ve all heard this saying before – but whether it is Twitter, Facebook or your blog, posts with great pictures get more engagement. No wonder Instagram is one of the fastest growing social networks.
- Size doesn’t matter – it’s easy to get obsessed with how big your following is or isn’t, but it’s quality that’s important, not quantity. The key is to try and build the right following, made up of engaged followers, who are interested in what you have to say.
- Short and sweet – Love what you write about, keep it concise (300-400 words per post) and focused around a theme that you become known for, and you will build a community of followers.
- Give and take – Read, comment, follow, RT and like other people’s tweets/blogs. You will not only pick up some good tips from others, but you’ll build up your own community at the same time.
- Rest and be thankful – William Wordsworth said it, and so do I! Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. It’s alright to take a break from writing now and again, and hopefully after a rest your writing will be revitalised!
Despite these 5 tips, I’m the biggest rule breaker of all and guilty of not heeding my own advice… So, let’s see whether I can take on board these lessons between now and my 10,000th tweet!
And because size doesn’t matter, here’s my blogging journey so far, in numbers 😉
- 2 years of tweeting
- 267 posts
- 711 twitter followers
- 795 views of my most read post
- 1,209 blog followers
- 5,000 tweets!
Good luck with your blogging/tweeting!