Say it with Chocolate
Evening and welcome to #TheMondayInterview. As today is Blue Monday – the most depressing day of the year – I can’t think of a better subject to cheer us up, than CHOCOLATE!
I’m delighted to welcome Frances Crute, a chocolatier currently working as a Product Developer for Pret. Ten years ago Frances realised her passion for chocolate by working as a pastry chef with some top restaurateurs and highly-acclaimed chefs. You can read all about her journey in the world of chocolate here.
Being a chocolatier sounds like the dream job! I caught up with Frances to find out about her life and love of chocolate and to get her advice on the best chocolate Valentine’s gift out there this year…
- When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? I think I always wanted to do something with food. I would spend all my holidays baking with my Gran.
- How did you become a chocolatier? I was in the right place at the right time. A job overseas fell through and L’Artisan du Chocolate needed some help in the run up to Christmas.
- Which is your favourite type and brand of chocolate? I love Madagascan chocolate so probably Amedei Madagascan 70% or I have recently discovered Amelia Ropes Dark Sea Salt chocolate which is yummy!
- What are the health benefits of chocolate? Dark chocolate is high in anti-oxidants and iron but most of all it makes you happy. (Just what we need on a Blue Monday like today! G x)
- What’s the best chocolate Valentine’s gift out there this year? ‘Declaration of Romantic Feelings’ Couture Collection Box by L’Artisan du Chocolate. You personalise with a romantic note to your loved one.
- If you could work with any other food ingredient what would it be and why? Cheese! I would love to be an official cheese taster.
- What’s your favourite recipe including chocolate? I have a great chocolate tart recipe that is a blend of a rich ganache and a light sabayonne folded together. Imagine a super light extra chocolaty fondant!
- What’s the most unusual ingredient you’ve mixed with chocolate? I once tried Guinness chocolates for St. Patrick’s day… they didn’t work so well.
- Who would be your fantasy 5 dinner party guests? Rene Redzepi, Sarah Lund, Tyler Hamilton, Lance Armstrong & Barack Obama.
- If you were stranded on a desert island, what 5 items would you wish you had? Chocolate, My iPhone, my photos, factor 50 sun cream and a really long book.
Thanks so much Frances! Lots of tasty answers there… And plenty to inspire us as we battle with Blue Monday!
You may remember that Fit Chick Tori is going to kick off a new Chain of Inspirational Interviews. This has been delayed until February, so be sure to clock back in for #TheMondayInterview on Monday 4 February.
Enjoy your evening!