Bhangra to Bollywood
Welcome to the
#MondayMonthlyInterview when on the 1st Monday of each month, I interview someone doing interesting stuff with their life.
Today I’m delighted to welcome Abs Shaid, the founder of the Asian Music Awards (AMAs) which celebrates its 10th anniversary in Oct. Abs is working hard to put on the most spectacular event at Wembley Arena on 25 October, showcasing the best music from South Asia.
- When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? “Music production, DJ’ing & gigs were all things that interested me. I got into event management & then created the Asian Music Awards.”
- What makes you get up in the morning? “Working on a project which I’ve been passionate about for the last 10 yrs. Everyday there’s an opportunity to build the event further.”
- If you won the EuroMillions what would you do? “First and foremost I’d take a holiday… A very long one!! In fact I may even just buy myself my own holiday destination!”
- Who would your fantasy 5 dinner party guests be? “Gordon Ramsey, so he can take over in the kitchen! The remaining guests would have to be Barack Obama, Jay Z, Steve Jobs & Kanya King.”
- If you were stranded on a desert island, what 5 items would you wish you had? “My iphone, a box of cigarettes (sorry), my shades, a microwave and my watch.”
Thanks Abs! From Bhangra to Bollywood… the AMAs celebrate the v best of South Asian music & culture from the UK & internationally.
Legendary Rahat Fateh Ali Khan has just been announced as the headline act for 25 Oct. He’ll be performing his popular Bollywood hits. Tickets are ON SALE now. Book now to experience the vibrance & wonder of South Asian music & culture! G x