Hello and welcome to today’s short and sweet #5aday and my last post until Thursday 21st March.
It’s #SundayTimes and I’m currently writing this while chilling, after a day’s skiing in Verbier, Switzerland.
My #5aday today is made up of the key highlights of this week’s holiday.
1. Rest and Relaxation – I’ve had a very busy past month back in London, and the mountain surroundings are the perfect environment to blow the cobwebs away.
2. Catching up with family – I’m staying with my brother until Thursday and get to spend some valuable time with my two beautiful nieces, who I haven’t seen since Christmas.
3. Skiing – Obviously this is high up the agenda although the conditions today lend themselves more to après than ski! On Thursday I then move to Crans Montana for the City Ski Championship and somehow I’ve managed to get roped into a dual and giant slalom race on Friday. Help!
4. Après-Ski – Clearly this is also on the agenda, especially from Thursday onwards. I might not be quite so refreshed come a week tomorrow!
5. Sunshine – Today has been a glorious day as you can see from the pics, so fingers crossed we’ll have some more sunshine but to be honest we could do with some more snow too.
So that’s it… I’m taking some much needed #GTime Out from my regular #5aday. I will tweet the odd pic or two though, in an effort to make everyone back home as jealous as possible!
Take care and see you back here for #GTime business as usual on Thursday 21st March.
#SaturdayShopping time… With London Fashion Week comes talk of A/W13 trends to watch out for but what about looking hot this winter?
In preparation for skiing in a few weeks, tonight’s
#5aday features gear to make you stand out on the slopes & ensure you ski in style.
- Gucci Goggles in Silver - With double lenses & special technology to stop fogging. Very regardez-moi @ £125.
- Sorel Joan of Arctic Boot - Non-slip, warm & waterproof can be stylish with these boots @ £155.
- Giro Sheer White Helmet - You can’t take safety lightly on the slopes, so protect yourself in this @ £159.99.
- The North Face Women’s Free Thinker GTX Pant - These bright yellow trousers will help you in the bumps @ £319.99.
- The North Face Women’s Chaletta Down Jacket - Warm, windproof, waterproof AND highly wearable in blue @ £329.99.
5 essentials to ensure you look hot while on the slopes and during apres-ski but which will slalom its way into tonight’s
#SaturdayShopping #GTopSpot goes to #5 The North Face Women’s Chaletta Down Jacket - Stay warm & look cool.
Evening! Welcome to
#SundayTimes & today’s #5aday #SkiSunday. In a month I head off to the Swiss Alps for skiing in Verbier & Crans Montana.
I’ve written a few skiing related posts before, so today’s
#5aday revisits some of these to give you inspiration if planning a ski break.
- Powder or Party or both? What are your priorities when planning your ski holiday? Read ‘Powder or Party?’ for 5 resort suggestions.
- If you answered both to #1 then Verbier is ideal. Read ‘Best of Verbier’ for 5 of the best places to ski & party in Verbier.
- If you’re interested in going somewhere with a difference then check out these 5 picture perfect ski resorts (from Gstaad to Kicking Horse).
- To maximise your skiing fun & fitness, read these 5 steps for all you need to get into shape to hit the slopes.
- Read my final ski-inspired post – an interview with Bramble Ski’s director Colin Mayo, on the business of skiing.
All this talk of skiing is teasing me, especially as the snow is so amazing at the moment. Bring on March – only 28 sleeps to go!
Enjoy the rest of your evening & Kung Hei Fat Choy! All the best for the Chinese New Year. May the year of the snake be a prosperous one.
Welcome to #ThursdayFriday! Tonight’s #5aday is Après (without the Ski) in London… Enjoy the following winter-themed bars this winter.
- Bodo’s Schloss, High Street Ken - Newly opened Austrian Ski Lodge bar, restaurant & disco with DJ in ski gondola!
- Forzawin(ter), E2 - Summer rooftop supperclub has turned all wintery with rugs, mulled wine & cheese Fonduta.
- Montague Ski Lodge, Bloomsbury - Pine trees, snow, ski racks, fairy lights & 12 different flavoured vodkas!
- Piste Bar @ Archer Street, Soho - Newly opened basement bar themed with old wooden skis & snow shoes on the wall.
- Tom’s Skate Lounge, Somerset House - Après-Skate from newly launched cosy bar overlooking the ice rink.
5 cool yet cosy bars to enjoy Après (without the Ski) this winter season but which will be dancing on the tables in tonight’s #GTopSpot?
Tonight’s #ThursdayFriday #GTopSpot goes to #5 Tom’s Skate Lounge, Somerset House - Après-Skate is the new Après-Ski! G x
Welcome to #WellbeingWednesday. In just over a month I will be hitting the slopes for the 1st time this ski season (subject to snow!)…
Apparently the best bodies for skiing are decathletes, with all the aspects of their training & disciplines making the perfect athlete. You may not be an Olympic decathlete but if you’re tackling the slopes this winter you’ll need to be in good all-round shape…
Today’s #WellbeingWednesday #5aday features all we need to get us into shape & ready to take full advantage of the slopes this winter.
- Undertake 2 or 3 running/cycling sessions a week, to ensure you can sustain short bursts of exertion repeatedly & at high altitudes.
- Lower body workout drills e.g. bum kicks, jogging & hopping with high knees, side strides & bunny hops x 2 sets of each over 20-30m.
- Upper body workout e.g. sit-ups, back arches, back extensions, reverse curl, bench dips, push-ups & twisted curls x 2/3 sets of 20/30.
- Work on mobility of upper & lower body with joint rotations e.g. arm swings, shoulder circles, hip circles & twists, squats & lunges.
- Improve coordination & agility through agility ladder drills. Take a look at this short demo for some guidance.
5 steps to maximising your skiing fitness this winter, ensuring you will ski better & longer each day, as well as minimising injuries. G x
Welcome to the #MondayMonthlyInterview when on the 1st Monday of each month, I interview someone doing interesting stuff with their life.
I have just booked my ski holiday to Switzerland for Christmas to stay with my brother who runs a ski business in Verbier & St Anton… I’m pleased to welcome Colin Mayo, co-founder of Bramble Ski as today’s interviewee, as he gets ready for the coming ski season. Bramble Ski have been offering niche luxury chalet ski experiences since 2004.
- When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? I was always keen on sports & the outdoors, so ending up living & working in the mountains is not too surprising.
- What makes you get up in the morning/inspires you? The kids! And of course the mountains and what they have to offer each day for us and our clients.
- If you won the EuroMillions, what would you do? Buy our chalet and a camper van to take to Japan to spend a winter exploring their ski resorts.
- Who would your fantasy 5 dinner party guests be? Mallory, Tensing, Andrew Flintoff, Boris Johnson and my grandmother (father’s side) who died when my brother, sister and I were very young.
- If you were stranded on a desert island, what 5 items would you wish you had? My smartphone, a surfboard, my down booties, a round of Raclette cheese and a Swiss Army knife.
- Which is your favourite ski resort? Verbier because of the extensive off-piste and touring opportunities. 7 seasons and I have only scratched the surface!
- Have you had any famous guests stay with Bramble? Yes, but I can’t disclose names. We’ve had ex-footballers, celebrity chefs and TV personalities.
- What advice do you have for anyone interested in setting up their own business? Follow your passion. You have to really love what you are doing as there will be many late nights and early mornings.
- What’s the future for Bramble Ski? More resorts, more luxury, more skiing…
- What do you think sets Bramble apart from other luxury ski experiences? The founders are still very much involved day to day and not only do we ensure we have the best properties and service, but we ensure everyones’ (including our staff) ski experience is the best.
Thanks so much to Colin for taking part in today’s #MondayMonthlyInterview & good luck for the season. Fingers crossed for lots of snow! G x
Evening! It’s 3 months to go to Christmas & I have just booked my flights to Geneva for a white Christmas skiing in the Swiss Alps…
Now’s the time to be planning this winter’s ski holiday, so today’s
#ThursdayFriday #5aday features 5 resorts with a difference…
- Gstaad, Switzerland – Romantic resort & a fave with the stars. Opt for luxurious lodgings with Haute Montagne.
- Lech, Austria - The posh neighbouring resort to St Anton. Known for some of the snowiest conditions in the Alps.
- Sainte Foy, France - Hidden gem close to the more famous resorts of Tignes & Val D’Isere. Good snow & off-piste.
- Kitzbuhel, Austria - Great family resort with easier slopes & beautiful scenery. Need to go when lots of snow!
- Kicking Horse, Canada - Backcountry skiers’ paradise in the heart of British Columbia without sacrificing style.
5 picture perfect ski resorts with loads of style thrown in but which is the pick of the pistes in tonight’s
#ThursdayFriday #GTopSpot goes to #1 Gstaad, Switzerland - Pure luxury, especially if you splash out here.
Thanks to Welove2ski and Bramble Ski for their advice and help with today’s ‘Pick of the Pistes’ #GTime. G x
Evening! I might just be back from holiday but I’m already thinking about planning the next one…
Continuing the theme of ‘activity-based’ holidays, today’s
#ThursdayFriday column features 5 alternative action holidays to skiing.
- Trail Running - After my 1st trail in Paris
@FitchickTori has recommended the Ice Trail Tarentaise in the Alps .
- Biking - Discover Verbier on a bike this summer with Lucy & Phil from Bike Verbier - Green is the new white!
- Walking - See stunning Scotland on the West Highland Way with
@macsadventure - 95 miles over mountains & lochs.
- Surfing - Visit Ericeira, Portugal’s surf capital & a pretty fishing town - Good for beginners & experts alike.
- Yoga - For a more spiritual holiday, opt for a relaxing yoga retreat with Ashiyana Yoga in beautiful North Goa.
5 stunning locations & very different activity-based holidays to dream about… but which will be crowned King of the Mountain today?
#ThursdayFriday #GTopSpot goes to #5 Ashiyana Yoga in Goa. I’ve always wanted to visit India & this sounds like pure bliss… G x
#GTime is back after a few days’ break over the long Easter weekend. Had an amazing time in the beautiful Swiss alpine town of Verbier…
But as much as the skiing was good & the après excellent, I am now looking forward to some healthy eating & my
#GTime 5-a-day of course!
I had a cheese (& booze) overload, so
#WellbeingWednesday today features 5 healthy recipes to help with the post holiday diet!
- Soy-baked salmon with zingy salsa from
@jamieoliver - With the healing powers of ginger & the kick of chillies!
- Mexican enchiladas from
@ivillageuk - If I’m having cheese withdrawal symptoms this contains the low-fat option!
- Caramel soy roast vegetables recipe from
@C4insider - More than your 5-a-day veggies plus ginger! Delicious.
- Vietnamese chicken salad from
@marksandspencer - Chicken, Carrot, Cucumber, Chilli & Coriander & 274 Calories!
- Japanese style beef salad from
@olivemagazine - Full of fresh flavours including radishes & my favourite ginger!
5 scrumptious healthy dinner options to help kick-start the diet but which will emerge from the weigh-in as today’s
#WellbeingWednesday #GTopSpot today goes to #5 Japanese style beef salad from @olivemagazine for a tasty meal & only 242 calories.
Now, let’s get cooking! Enjoy your evening & maybe this has helped inspire your recipe choice for this evening? Bon appetit! G x
A few weeks ago Verbier was the
#GTopSpot in my skiing feature. Fast forward & there’s now only one more sleep until I hit the slopes!
I’m proud to welcome www.brambleski.com as today’s
#ThursdayFriday guest columnist – recommending the best places to ski & party in Verbier…
- Best for on piste skiing (currently): Lac de Vaux. Check out Welove2ski’s guide - Some fun off-piste sections.
- Best off piste skiing: Backside of Mont Fort – check out Welove2ski’s guide - For very advanced, with a guide.
- Best Après-ski:
LeRouge_Verbier or Farinet - Both worth experiencing. One’s messier than the other!
- Best Fondue & Raclette: Le Caveau - Ideal for the evenings as no sun terrace. Gets busy, so book in advance
- Best Clubbing:
Public_Verbier or Farm Club NevaiHotel - For fun times into the very early hours!
Thanks www.brambleski.com for great advice! Bramble Ski offer niche luxury chalet ski experiences. Check out more here. G x